IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Please login or register to enjoy all of BoxersRule's features and if you're validating, don't forget to check your email.
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Leash Pulling, CGC certificate
stephspup
post Apr 28 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #1

Champion Boxer

Group: Adv. Members

Member No.: 2,378

Yes, another training question lol.

I will try to get Marley certified in a couple months for the CGC. He is doing wonderfully at the sit, stay, down, etc but here is our problem. He doesnt like to walk next to me on a leash and he pulls to get ahead or to another dog. There is a requirement in the CGC to pass you have to be able to have your dog walk well on a loose leash and also another test would be for him and another dog to approach each other and not "act up".
I have tried a lot of different methods that the trainer suggested to try to get Marley to stop pulling, I have tried putting a treat next to my side, I have tried telling him NO and pulling him back behind me and none of it is working. Whenever he see's another dog...PLAYTIME!!! LOL its cute and all but definitely not what we are going for. Currently I have him on a flat buckle collar but I was wondering if I should try a harness or a halti? I ahd to buy a halti for my last boxer because he WOULD NOT stop pulling, and once I put that on him he was good....but he still walked ahead. At that time I didnt care if my dog walked ahead of me, but now its crucial that he doesnt. Does anyone have any recommendations to try? Anything would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Steph (and Marley)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Furbaby
post Apr 28 2009, 12:24 PM
Post #2

Champion Boxer

Member No.: 1,030

Hi Steph,

One recommendation I have is to "IMMEDIATELY" turn around and go the opposite direction any time Marley pulls. Do NOT talk to him - tell him to "come on" or wait for him to realize that you are going a different direction. Just walk. Of course I am not saying to hurt him - just turn and continue to walk normally. The theory is - Marley pulls to get to what he wants quicker. Soon he will realize - every time he pulls - what he wants gets farther away, not closer. He should stop. Plus he will realize that he needs to be paying attention to YOU - so he knows what to expect next.

Also - try to remember to praise and reward him when he's not pulling even if it's in the absence of any outside influences to start- this works better than just trying to correct the undesired behavoir.

Good Luck!!

+Quote Post
stephspup
post Apr 28 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #3

Champion Boxer

Hey Carla,

Thanks for the quick response!! I just found out I can post on this computer (I am at this computer on Tuesdays and Fridays) so WATCH OUT! We might be seeing more and more posts from me.
Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely try that TONIGHT! I just wanted to say because you told me in the last paragraph to always reward him....well I do. BUT when I do that he just thinks its time to play now and starts biting on the leash, hopping up and down, and getting ahead of me again. LOL puppies.....
I will work on this technique and update you guys soon!

+Quote Post
MikeG
post Apr 28 2009, 01:27 PM
Post #4

Just Whelped

Group: Members

Member No.: 1,834

A general comment about pulling ahead. We inadvertantly train our pets to do this all the time. Every time your boxer pull ahead and gets to the intended target (a friend, a smell or another dog) it gets massive reward. This will outweigh any attempts to undermine the behaviour using other methods. Your dog has already begun the behaviour so get used to the idea that it won't go away easy.

Some suggestions of things to work on. A halti or equivalent is a great tool to get control. It isn't the ultimate solution. However it's a great place to start.

You need to stop the reward for the pulling. A basic approach (this is a pin in the but and takes time and patience) is to stop dead still every time your boxer pulls. Make sure you anticipate where you dog will pull and stop soon enough so that it doesn't get to the indented target. When your dog stops pulling (even relaxes the lead) call the dog and reward. Set off again and repeat as neccesary.

Most imortantly you must do this consistently. If you do it say 3 out of 4 times you will actually be enhancing the desire to pull.

The previous suggestion of changing direction is also a good one, but it must be in an area free from distraction. It should be fun and reward your boxer every time it comes. Make sure your rewards are great for the dog (chicken is good.)

Once your dog is used to following then leading more directly with a treat will be easier. Again when you start do it at home witout distractions and then build up.

Mike

+Quote Post
RightTurn
post Apr 28 2009, 07:15 PM
Post #5

Champion Boxer

Member No.: 2,037

I don't have anything usefull to add but I don't think you can use Halti's, Gentle Leaders or anything like that for the actual CGC test. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I want to get Oliver and Tillie CGC certified but currently am using the Easy Walk Harness and am slowly weaning him off of it. It has worked wonders for me though, as I can't be pulled around at 36 wks. preggo. Ollie has come a long way since I started using it. I don't even need it in his agility class anymore.

+Quote Post
rhonda
post Apr 29 2009, 07:27 AM
Post #6

Crazy Teen Boxer

Member No.: 2,241

I am going through the exact same thing with Hummer. We will start our advanced training class on May 4, then hopefully upon completion of that we will go to CGC. My ultimate goal is Certified Therapy Dog. I am under the impression that Haltis, etc are not allow in CGC either. I have even considered that perhaps at 10 months (well almost 11mo now) that maybe I have too high hopes for this young age. He is wonderful! at everything else but he gets so excited and begins pulling when he meets other dogs especially. I too appreciate all comments and helpful suggestions! It really is nice to have experienced boxer people to give their input! Thanks!

+Quote Post
MyBoyJakin
post Apr 29 2009, 08:26 AM
Post #7

Champion Boxer
Group Icon

Group: NubClub

Member No.: 209

QUOTE (rhonda @ Apr 29 2009, 08:27 AM) *
I am going through the exact same thing with Hummer. We will start our advanced training class on May 4, then hopefully upon completion of that we will go to CGC. My ultimate goal is Certified Therapy Dog. I am under the impression that Haltis, etc are not allow in CGC either. I have even considered that perhaps at 10 months (well almost 11mo now) that maybe I have too high hopes for this young age. He is wonderful! at everything else but he gets so excited and begins pulling when he meets other dogs especially. I too appreciate all comments and helpful suggestions! It really is nice to have experienced boxer people to give their input! Thanks!

You know Solo is 13 months old and we are still batteling this issue some. He has gotten better as he has gotten older though. It just takes patience and consistency on our parts.

Ronda, I know that when I had Jakin we took the darn CGC test 5 times before we passed. It was always something different too. Sigh...at least it made for better practice, and we could really focus on what we needed to fix. I am also striving for the CGC and TDI certificates for Solomon plus the rally/obedience/agility titles.

Also, I should add that it is possible to get a CGC on a boxer as young as 6 months. I have known a few people that have done this. I guess they have more time to train the dog then I do.

This was taken from the AKCs website on the CGC testing.
Equipment

All tests must be performed on leash. Dogs should wear well-fitting buckle or slip collars made of leather, fabric, or chain. Special training collars such as pinch collars, head halters, etc. are not permitted in the CGC test. We recognize that special training collars may be very useful tools for beginning dog trainers, however, we feel that dogs are ready to take the CGC test at the point at which they are transitioned to regular collars.

The evaluator supplies a 20-foot lead for the test. The owner/handler should bring the dog's brush or comb to the test.

+Quote Post
stephspup
post Apr 29 2009, 10:49 AM
Post #8

Champion Boxer

Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it.

Rhonda-Thank God I am not the only one battling this, it helps when there is someone else there going through the same thing. I know Marley is barely 5 months old, but as long as we can master this pesky leash thing, we should be able to test at 6 months, but I am not holding him to that. I dont care if it takes me another year and a half, as long as one day we complete it. He is still a VERY young puppers, and is already doing excellent in everything. I think it helps that I started taking him to classes when he was only 3 months old.

+Quote Post
Vickie
post Apr 29 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #9

Specialty Boxer

Group: Super Member

Member No.: 119

When Boo was a puppy...a big puppy at that...he was awful about pulling on the lead. The only thing that worked was the Gentle Leader...if used & fitted correctly..it works wonders. I also used the pinch collar when he was older..there again..if used & fitted correctly, it works wonders.

+Quote Post
rhonda
post Apr 29 2009, 12:21 PM
Post #10

Crazy Teen Boxer

Thank each of you for your input. I truly appreciate any and all suggestions.

Stephanie, we'll just have to hang in together and get these babies on the right track. I wish you the very best of luck in the testing and hope you will keep me informed on how you guys do! I will keep my fingers crossed for you and Marley!

Missy, thanks for letting me know about Jakin and taking the test 5 times. I think sometimes I expect too much, too fast! I am switching to a different trainer for the advanced, CGC and TDI classes. I certainly don't mean to deminish any trainer but I just was not overly satisfied with the current classes we were in. At times, even I was bored during class and kept thinking we should be learning/doing/practicing something instead of chatting. I was referred to a trainer that will hopefully get us through the remainder of the needed classes and has certifiers come in on site to do the testing. Wish us luck!

+Quote Post
MyBoyJakin
post Apr 29 2009, 02:45 PM
Post #11

Champion Boxer
Group Icon

QUOTE (rhonda @ Apr 29 2009, 01:21 PM) *

Stephanie, we'll just have to hang in together and get these babies on the right track. I wish you the very best of luck in the testing and hope you will keep me informed on how you guys do! I will keep my fingers crossed for you and Marley!

Missy, thanks for letting me know about Jakin and taking the test 5 times. I think sometimes I expect too much, too fast! I am switching to a different trainer for the advanced, CGC and TDI classes. I certainly don't mean to deminish any trainer but I just was not overly satisfied with the current classes we were in. At times, even I was bored during class and kept thinking we should be learning/doing/practicing something instead of chatting. I was referred to a trainer that will hopefully get us through the remainder of the needed classes and has certifiers come in on site to do the testing. Wish us luck!

Rhonda --> which trainer will you be using now?

+Quote Post
stephspup
post Apr 29 2009, 02:56 PM
Post #12

Champion Boxer

Rhonda- I will definitely keep you posted. Another thing we have in common-we are both doubting our trainers. Well maybe you arent doubting yours, but mine is not working with me. It seems that he picks his favorites out of the class and works with them-you know what I say about that? PAY FOR THE FREAKIN PRIVATE CLASS!!!! I am already talking with another lady who knows the breed and has already helped me WAY more than the trainer I am currently paying. I am finishing out current class with this trainer and then I am switching Marley over to this new trainer. She definitely makes me feel a lot more comfortable and easy to talk to. Plus she KNOWS boxers!!!

I also wanted to ask what the TDI was?

This post has been edited by stephspup: Apr 29 2009, 02:57 PM

+Quote Post
rhonda
post Apr 29 2009, 03:07 PM
Post #13

Crazy Teen Boxer

QUOTE (MyBoyJakin @ Apr 29 2009, 03:45 PM) *

I was referred to a lady named Judy Pinkevich (Canine Inter-action Agency). Have you heard of her???? She has a Jonesborough address...

This post has been edited by rhonda: Apr 29 2009, 03:08 PM

+Quote Post
4BoxerMom
post Apr 29 2009, 03:11 PM
Post #14

Champion Boxer
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,368

I use the Easy-walk harness on all of mine for training purposes....it works wonders

+Quote Post
MyBoyJakin
post Apr 29 2009, 03:13 PM
Post #15

Champion Boxer
Group Icon

QUOTE (rhonda @ Apr 29 2009, 04:07 PM) *
QUOTE (MyBoyJakin @ Apr 29 2009, 03:45 PM) *

I was referred to a lady named Judy Pinkevich (Canine Inter-action Agency). Have you heard of her???? She has a Jonesborough address...

I do use her smile.gif How exciting! Vickie has used her for handeling classes when she was able to get out here. I have trained with Judy since I had Jakin. She is a wonderful person and know's obedience and agility. She is always more than willing to stay a little after classes if you have questions to ask. Rhonda, maybe we will run into each other.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 08:03 AM