IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Please login or register to enjoy all of BoxersRule's features and if you're validating, don't forget to check your email.
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> To Crop or Not?, the good, the bad, the ugly!
Karen
post Jan 7 2004, 05:57 PM
Post #1

Specialty Boxer

Group: Admin

Member No.: 2

To crop a boxer pup's ears or not is still a personal choice in the USA but has been banned in a lot of countries. Cropping is strictly cosmetic.

Should you decide to crop your pup's ears, you need to find a vet that will do the procedure and make sure they can do the type of crop you want. There is the long tapered show boxer crop and another crop that's sometimes called a "soldier" or Am. Saff. crop. You may want to take pictures of the type of crop you want done to the vet. Be aware that ears must be taped for sometimes months in order to get them to stand correctly and even then, sometimes will not stand properly.

Here are links to more information:

European Boxer Zone

To Crop and Dock....or not?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
claire
post Nov 6 2006, 05:54 PM
Post #2

Just Whelped

Group: Members

Member No.: 1,554

Hello,
Cropping is banned over here so i have never seen a boxer with cropped ears (other than in my boxer books) and personally i like floppy, im not sure what the point is really of having them taped up for months, it must be annoying for the dog! But then what is the point of docking, but i still prefer docked boxers so i guess its individual choice, although cropping i would imagine is worse for the dog than docking as it takes so long to do, also if it dosnt always work does your dog then possibly have one cropped and one floppy??! Boxers are wonderful whatever and i prefer docked but they are banning that here in febuary so i guess my next boxer will have a long tail and i will love it just the same!!!!!!! (see im thinking about number 2 already!!)

+Quote Post
Dixie & Hemi...
post Nov 6 2006, 09:09 PM
Post #3

Just Whelped

Group: Members

Member No.: 1,558

I agree its a personal choice. But PLEASE do your re-search and find a vet that knows what they are doing. I see so many boxers with bad ear crops and they either fall or are too long or take forever to heal...

Suzie

+Quote Post
Burning River Bo...
post Nov 6 2006, 09:54 PM
Post #4

Champion Boxer

Group: Adv. Members

Member No.: 117

One thing that I've found that not a whole lot of people know is that the ears are not still healing when they're in tapes. The ears usually take anywhere from a week and a half to two weeks to completely heal (that is, until the last teeny little scab falls off). After that, the ears are completely healed while they're in tapes.

Taping can take anywhere from 2 months to 8 months, depending on the ear set and thickness of the ear leather. In cases of extremely thick ear leather or low set ears, ear crops may indeed fail.

The reasons for cropping and docking go back to our breed's origins; they are as equally a part of the breed's history as the blunt, squished muzzle, the short, square build and the solid bone and structure.

My fears have everything to do with government control over how we run our families. First they ban cropping, next docking, and then it will be the shortened muzzles. . . At what point will our boxers cease to look like boxers?

+Quote Post
Jinxx
post Nov 6 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #5

Champion Boxer

Member No.: 661

What Burning River said!!!
Thanks Jess

Just wanted to add that the length of the crop also falls into play as to how long they need to be posted as well as the owners faithfulness in keeping up with it.

+Quote Post
GeorgesDad
post Nov 7 2006, 03:34 AM
Post #6

Beta Boxer

Member No.: 1,083

Obviously being a Brit, I also havent ever seen a cropped boxer, well not in real life anyway! This is obviously a common thing in the US as that is the standard of the US boxer. Again, I agree that this is down to personal choice, but as im sure has been said before on BR us Brit's are just not used to seeing boxers like that!

In Scotland tail docking is now banned on ALL breeds. George has a long tail and Gabs is one of the last to have a docked tail. So I have one of each. And even though I think personally that a boxer looks more 'boxerish' with a docked tail I fully agree with what we are doing in banning all docking as I think it is unneccesary if being done just for cosmetic reasons. Again these are just my opinions and everyone, especially those in different countries are used to and prefer different things.

I love all boxers irrelevant of whether they are cropped or docked as they still have their great personalities! bannana.gif

+Quote Post
Furbaby
post Nov 7 2006, 09:22 AM
Post #7

Champion Boxer

Member No.: 1,030

This is a fair and considerate forum and I for one appreciate it more when an issue such as this is raised. I understand that those in other countries where cropping has not been practiced for many years may find it "odd" that so many in the US feel so strongly about it. And now that docking is following in croppings wake I, like Jill (Oz4lines), echo Jess's (Burning River Boxers) sentiments. Regardless of whether the cropped ears and docked tails in this day are required for a purpose, they WERE when the Boxer was originated and the REASON for being an ethical responible breeder is to preserve the boxer. I'm not saying that those breeders or owners who choose to keep natural ears are wrong - it's a choice. And that's what it should be. But by allowing the government and lobbyists who have no care for the future of our breed let alone the betterment of it decide what is appropriate, we are a short slippery step from losing any control over our breeding decisions. As Jess indicated, many of the boxers distinguishing characteristics (square head, short muzzle) are man made features. How long until those are questioned? How much momentum do they need before we can't stop them?

+Quote Post
Domino
post Nov 18 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #8

Champion Boxer

Member No.: 240

Well everyone say some healing vibes for Diesel he will be getting cropped Nov 21st. I can't wait to fianally see him and love on him!!

+Quote Post
DoubleTroubleTea...
post Nov 18 2006, 10:14 PM
Post #9

Specialty Boxer

Group: Super Member

Member No.: 811

WooooHooooo....Lots of "Good Ear Luck" for the Diesel Dog!! He'll do just fine I'm sure! b_hearts.gif

+Quote Post
MizBev
post Nov 18 2006, 11:27 PM
Post #10

Champion Boxer

Member No.: 638

STAND!!! STAND!!!! STAND!!!!

Here are my stand up ear vibes for Diesel clappy.gif clappy.gif

+Quote Post
~LadySofia~
post Jun 10 2007, 06:05 AM
Post #11

Alpha Boxer

Member No.: 1,870

I'm currious if you have to have your boxers ears cropped to show ??? We will be getting our pup in 5 days and have been mulling this issue over with some heated debate in our family...When do the ears need to be done by ???If we do not crop will she be instantly disqualified I guess is my main question...

+Quote Post
rollergiraffe
post Jun 10 2007, 01:52 PM
Post #12

Champion Boxer

Group: Mod

Member No.: 926

The natural ear was adopted as part of the US standard recently. At the last ABC national show, a few natural eared dogs did very well! There will be some challenging judges along the way, but I think it's quite possible to finish a dog with natural ears in the US now. I think it's a great move; makes it a choice for the owners.

I believe for an effective crop it has to be done before 12 weeks (someone correct me if I am wrong!). If you choose to do cropped ears, please do your homework and find a vet in your area who has lots of experience with boxer ears. Your breeder should be able to offer advice in this area...

+Quote Post
Vickie
post Jun 10 2007, 05:08 PM
Post #13

Specialty Boxer

Group: Super Member

Member No.: 119

I agree with Jen, you can show a natual ear boxer. She has a natual ear, & she won her class at the nationals. I did see more natuals this year than before. But the ears still need to be correct. Look at the standard. If you choose to crop, it should be done before 12 weeks, and only by a ear cropping vet. As Jen said, your breeder may help you with that. If not, contact the local boxer club, they help find a good ear cropping vet. Not all vets crop. I think all boxers are beautiful, but I prefer cropped. It does take time & taping & retaping for weeks/ months to get them to stand. It's a personal choice.

Good Luck

+Quote Post
MSBIGFULTON
post Jun 10 2007, 07:11 PM
Post #14

Specialty Boxer
Group Icon

Group: NubClub

Member No.: 1,199

Well the choice to crop or not to crop is definitely a personal one, but a much debated one. I have owned 4 boxers and all have been cropped, BUT, I also find natural ears to be cute as can be, it just depends on personal preference and dedication. They do need to be done by 12 weeks of age, and "PLEASE" be sure to find a vet that "confidentally" crops boxer ears, get references, it is truly important, once they are done, they are done and if not done properly it can become a very long and trying experience( unfortunately you can't glue the ears back on and start over bigblink.gif ).
No matter what you decide, she will be a cute little girl, and sometimes will forget what those ears are really for, "listening to momma call her name"... she will be the joy of your life.

+Quote Post
Burning River Bo...
post Jun 11 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #15

Champion Boxer

Member No.: 117

It is harder to show uncropped here in the US. Judges still retain their bias and it will be quite sometime before they are fully accepting of the natural eared look. An owner handled natural eared Championship is yet to be attained - all natural eared dogs have been finished by professional handlers, so if you're planning on handling yourself, I'd have her cropped. I think that it's important to maintain a realistic outlook on things, and I hate to sugar coat things to anyone who is just thinking about getting into showing. The reality is that it's hard enough to show a cropped dog and get a good look, the bigger reality is that it's even harder to show a natural eared dog and get a good look.

Good luck!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 12:33 PM